The Children's Heart Center
The Children’s Heart Center is a regional center of excellence in the care of children with heart disease.
We are proud to be a part of St.Vincent Hospital and the St.Vincent Medical Group, consistently recognized as a leader in cardiology and cardiac surgery. Of the 6,400 hospitals surveyed nationwide, St. Vincent's cardiovascular program had one of the three lowest mortality rates in the nation. This measure demonstrates our commitment to provide superior care utilizing the most current diagnostic and treatment modalities in a family-focused environment.
Because of our collaboration with St.Vincent Medical Group, we are able to offer the most comprehensive cardiac care in the state. Because we care for the most premature infants to the adults with congenital Heart Disease, the Children's Heart Center is able to make a long term commitment to caring for your child.
Our Distinctive Philosophy
- Provide superior comprehensive care
- Utilize state-of-the-art technology
- Serve the community (national and international)
Our Highest Priority
A focus on superior care distinguishes the Children's Heart Center from other teaching and academic centers in the Midwest. A child's treatment is not automatically delegated to a trainee. At our institution, only fully trained board-certified physicians are entrusted in the care of your child. Children benefit directly from the expertise of pediatric cardiologists, pediatric intensivists and hospitalists, pediatric anesthesiologists and a faculty of highly trained pediatric specialists and sub-specialists.
- Our pediatric intensive care physicians' (intensivists) only duty is to care for children in the pediatric intensive care unit. They provide support 24-hours a day, 7 days a week and are available to respond quickly to your child's needs.
- Our pediatric intensive care unit offers a suite of private rooms, state of the art monitoring equipment, and an all RN nursing staff dedicated to the care of pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular surgery patients.
- All pediatric staff are certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit consistently earns very high patient satisfaction scores.
- Our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is the only central Indiana provider active in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Evaluation System (PICUES). This national benchmarking system helps define the quality of care for which providers across the country strive to meet.
State of the Art Technology
The Children's Heart Center offers highly specialized diagnostic and surgical capabilities, utilizing the most sophisticated technology available.
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)- A treatment available for prolonged heart-lung support. We are one of two pediatric centers in the state capable of providing this support.
- Nitric Oxide-A treatment available for persistent pulmonary hypertension and children not responding to full ventilatory support.
- Ventilation support-including jet and oscillation therapy
- New pediatric cardiac catheterization laboratory- A pediatric bi-plane cardiac catheterization lab that produces "cine-less" images. This reduces radiation exposure for the child and the physician.
- Tele-Medicine Echocardiography- The first pediatric center in the state to receive transmissions of echocardiographic images from outlying hospitals. This enables prompt diagnosis and treatment for critically ill children outside Indianapolis.
- The largest and highest volume neonatal intensive care unit in the state.
Sharing the Vision
Our medical staff has recognized the need for sub-specialty expertise beyond the immediate community and the importance of treating children close to home. Our cardiologists care for children at seven outlying clinics including:
UnaVie Cardiology Center
2451 Teleplex Drive
Shelbyville, IN 46178
Fort Wayne Clinic
Pediatric Cardiology Associates
5107 N. Bend Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
||Lafayette Clinic |
St. Elizabeth Regional Hospital
1701 S. Creasy Lane
Lafayette, IN 47905
Terre Haute Clinic
Providence Medical Group
2723 S. 7th Street, Suite A
Terre Haute, IN 47802
||Richmond Clinic |
Richmond Cardiology Associates
1100 Reid Parkway, Suite 210
Richmond, IN 47374
Consistent with St.Vincent's mission, The Children's Heart Center also provides care to children from several under-served areas throughout the world. We have provided heart surgery to nearly 100 children from Bosnia, Kosovo, Haiti, Uganda, Mongolia, Bolivia, and Honduras, at no charge to their families. Many of these patients have come to us through a collaborative effort with the Children's Heart Project at the Samaritan's Purse. This is the only hope of treatment for these children. Without surgery, they have little chance of reaching adulthood.
A Series of "Firsts"
- First in nation to perform a Stereotaxis pediatric magnetic N21 navigation procedure. This procedure allows more precise movement of catheters in the heart to ensure successful treatment of abnormal heart rhythms.
- Successfully complete a balloon valvuloplasty of the aortic valve in a neonate.
- Perform an arterial switch repair in a 4 pound newborn
- Successfully construct the right ventricular outflow tract, repair the tricuspid valve and place a central shunt in a newborn
- Close a calcified Patent Ductus Arteriosus with multiple steel coils in a 69 year old woman (review of world literature suggests she may be the oldest patient to undergo this procedure successfully)
- First pediatric cardiac center in Indiana to transmit echocardiographic images from a remote location to our office. Enables prompt treatment and life saving interventions in a critically ill newborn.
- First pediatric cardiac catheterization laboratory in Indiana to use bi-plane "cine-less" imaging. This reduces radiation exposure for the child and physician.
- The states largest program for non-surgical closure of atrial septal defects in adults and children.
- Placement of Implantantable Cardiac Defibrilator in infants.